Friday 13 March 2015

How Zumba Fitness Helps My Politics...

By TOMMY HOLGATE

Rhythm of ignite . . . fun workout loosens body while clearing mind and freeing spirit
I've had a great week. 
Did all sorts of official politics stuff in the Town Hall over a series of meetings to discuss the rules and regulations of thine Parliamentary candidature.
It turns out I can also run for my Borough Council - Holmebrook - as well, for which there are two Councillor seats available. 
This is great news because, as I am sure I'm not alone in thinking, it looks unlikely that I will triumph as an MP in this first campaign.
However, now I have an election on my hands that I can actually win. Exciting.
Time to start door-knocking around the local estates.
Meanwhile, I bumped into the same couple from the cider-drinking immigration chat the other day.
Incidentally this time I was on my way home from another candidate briefing.
We got chatting about the local area and I mentioned my plan to provide free dance classes for kids.
"My 8-year-old daughter would love that," said Sarah.
Then they invited me round for dinner next week.
So what started off with a few shouts across the street has turned into a friendship. And what seemed like a fun novelty [offering free dance classes] may turn into something that actually helps get The Peace Party elected onto the local council.
Zumba's been a godsend.
When overtly practicing popping techniques, the muscles can get too used to 'hitting' the beat and thus lose fluidity.
Wriggling about and gyrating to Taylor Swift once a week does wonders for the lumbar flexibility.
I shied away from feminine moves for many years after being verbally abused muchly in my local town on nights out, for wearing polyester, 1970s floral shirts and - I'll be honest really rather - tight trousers.
A couple of times I got duffed up for clearing dancefloors with various combinations of disco and drunken flailing.
So I just kept popping because it was way more masculine.
But doing Zumba has allowed me to become comfortable with expressing myself however I want again.
As a peace-loving, Tai Chi-living juice enthusiast - who does a pyrouhette every now and again.
Speaking of spinning around, the world continues to do so, and as it does, time passes.
As time passes, the election date draws ever closer.
Chances are there won't be a Peace candidate in your area just yet, but - in the spirit of word of mouth - do spread the word of our existence, as this is merely the beginning of a snowball.
And just like that snowball - you stay cool now.
In Peace,
Tommy


I've heard people say: 
"You won't get a a disco CD played in the canteen of the House of Commons for love nor money."
But maybe one day we could. With a little bit of either.
Feel free to contribute to our 2015 General Election crowdfund campaign or follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or visit our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment