Tuesday 28 April 2015

Audio: 'My First Ever Political Speech'

by TOMMY HOLGATE

By Tommy Holgate, Peace Party PPC, Chesterfield.
To put this video into context, it was a local hustings event organised by several campaign groups including CND and Save the NHS.
We'd not been invited as organisers wanted to keep timings down, having had an unusally large number of 11 candidates standing last time.
In 2015 there are 7 of us. 
I only found out about the event the day before, when it was referenced on an invite to another hustings a fortnight away.
I was told that 'people wanted to hear about how the candidates party would influence national issues', and that - despite being a national party - us, having only 4, weren't quite substantial enough.
I happily accepted not being on the panel when organisers said I could have 3 minutes at the end to 'say whatever I liked'.
But when I turned up on the night, to find Conservative Mark Vivis and Ukip Stuart Yeowart both absent - and that this had been known prior to my initial telephone call - I did rather wish I had been given the opportunity to join the debate that now only had 4 panellists.
It's already enough of an uphill battle trying to spread this message in politics, so I felt like I had a bit of a bit between my teeth when I got to the microphone.
Lookng back, I appreciate that organisers have a job to do, and perhaps I took it a bit personally, but there can be no regrets.
The week before, our leader John Morris had appeared on BBC's Daily Politics.
Before which, I texted to say what a naturally friendly man he is, and that just by being himself he will win people over.
The day before this inaugural speech, I had asked for some advice on how to remain peaceful in political debate.
He said: "Well I do recall recently being advised by a political colleague that the best way to deal with things is to be yourself."
Wise words.
So the method employed in the speech above combines genuine care for people's welfare, a bit of mild humour, and an acknowledgement that much of current political discourse is predictable and similar - party lines trotted out left, right and centre, mudslinging between parties, blame games stretching back 30 years and so on.

Speaking of the word 'trot', I've heard voices say: 
"Shouldn't you be trotting off to deliver some more campaign literature door-to-door?"
Too right. Back in a bit.
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or visit our website.




No comments:

Post a Comment